The Martin Mason Building has been a fixture of downtown Deadwood South Dakota since its construction in 1893. Its three story heavy brick and stone facade has stood for more than 119 years in the northern Black Hills in-climate weather. Commissioned in 1892 by two attorneys, name and Eben W Martin, the building took form a year later in 1893, an era in which Deadwood rose in prominence as wealth from the Homestake Gold Mine in nearby Lead flowed through town. Deadwood of the 1890’s was different from the earlier gunslinger and pioneer gold rush days as the railroad had made travel and commerce an easier affair. When in 1897 the need for more room hastened the addition of a third floor, the building took its completed shape which still stands today. While Eben Martin went on to serve as a congressman in 1912 , the Martin Mason building served Deadwood as law offices, a department store, and a grocery store. The Martin Mason building’s central location, across the street from two train depots (now there is just one train depot and it’s the tourist information booth) and being only one block from the courthouse and federal building made it a fixture for many years of the residents of Deadwood in the early 1900’s.
The building diminished in stature over the years, with maintenance lapsing due to economic conditions in the town.
After attending a family reunion in Deadwood, the current owners visited and then purchased the building in 1994 even though the building was in a condemned condition. Major structural work then began in 1995 to shore up the south side of the building in the basement with new foundations. After emergency construction to maintain the integrity of the building was completed, work began on historically renovating the interior of the building.
The Martin Mason Building is located in downtown Deadwood South Dakota. Built in 1893, it was recently restored in the 00’s and was reopened in 2007. The Martin Mason Hotel is located on the second floor and features eight rooms restored in Victorian style. The hotel is recognized as one of the finest deadwood hotels. On the third floor is the 1898 Ballroom, a large gathering space for deadwood weddings, events, conferences and meetings. Deadwood and the Martin Mason Ballroom are fast becoming a favorite location for black hills weddings with our central location to everything Deadwood has to offer. The ground floor is occupied by the Wooden Nickel Casino and Lee Street Station Restaurant[divider]
Newspaper Collection: Martin Mason Building in the Deadwood News
The collection is divided by time period and is presented in chronological order.
The copies of the articles and a synopsis of all articles pertaining to the Martin & Mason and Clark Buildings were provided by Deadwood Historic Preservation and the Deadwood Lead Public Library and were written by the many reporters of the Black Hills Pioneer formerly known as the Deadwood Daily Pioneer and the Deadwood Pioneer.
This collection of articles will increase as time permits. A compilation of the history of the owners, various uses of the building, and time frames are important to the physical restoration of any building and should be the first step in any historic restoration.